Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Chicken Thief

I never imagined it would be so hard to sit down and get on the computer this winter but who knew it would be so warm? Hard to stay inside when there are so many interesting things I can be doing outside.  There are always dogs to chase, chickens to herd, and plenty of potting soil to clean up after the dogs have dug all my bulbs out of my whiskey barrels!

Speaking of my Buckaroo Man's dog; this weekend was a bit adventurous for us! A week or so ago Buckaroo Man's cow dog pup, aka... Skunk, decided that chicken was for dinner so he helped himself to my laying hens. (he already helps himself daily to my beloved brown eggs!) The surviving chickens are still disturbed by his presence! After getting walloped a few times with what was left of my favorite chicken he has decided that he no longer desires chicken upon his pallet. Due to our chicken loss and severe egg reduction we began hunting for laying hens for sale. We found some and headed to the armpit of america(battle mountain, NV) to pick them up. We planned on 5 but brought 10 home!

Once the beloved chickens were deposited in their coop we headed inside to warm up. The moment we walked in the door we were greeted by the sounds of new born puppies! What a wonderful sound! My little red border collie, aka....Reata, spent the last 15 hours in labor. The birth of puppies is probably one of my favorite births to be a part of! As soon as that puppy came into the cold noisy world her mama would swiftly clean her face so she could breathe, sever the umbilical cord, and nudge her until she squirmed and cried! This was followed by a detailed cleaning and help on finding her new food supply! Aren't maternal instincts amazing! We now have 8 cute little puppies! New life is such a wonderful thing!

Time to let the little red dog out. Until next time.....too-da-loo!!!

1 comment: